Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Guadalupe River South Trail Below Canyon Lake

On an late March morning before the sun had a chance to clear up the morning fog a couple friends of mine took me to a new place that had been right under my nose this hole time. I have been to Canyon Lake more times than I can count and I have walked the Dam itself about half as many times as that but I never knew there was another park less than 500 yards away and visible from the top of the Dam.



View Guadalupe River South Trail in a larger map

At the time I did not have a fishing license so did not participate in the fishing however I did have my tablet and plenty time to take a few pictures. This first picture is from when we first arrived looking out to where the water from Canyon Lake becomes what is commonly referred to as Guadalupe River South. We are on the opposite side of the river from the trail proper where a small fishing area is set up.
 

To the left (looking down stream) a small feeder creek also joins the river. The creek is shallow but clear.

Probably my favorite picture from this trip.

My friends waded out to a small island to try their luck.

On the trail side of the small park the first thing you will encounter is this sign at the trailhead.

The main trail is wide and well maintained however getting to the river can be a little tricky as there are no maintained trails that make the short transition. We found a path and managed to make it down without slipping

Several small overlooks along the river offer nice views

The pictures below are of a rocky out crop about 80 yards long and this is where we fished for the rest of the day (you can click on them to make the larger).

This last set of pictures dose not really need further description beyond noting that at this point the sun was either out or nearly out.

All in all it was a very nice spot. We did not see many people on our visit but because it is a free area with river access I am sure it gets rather busy at times so your experience may differ significantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment