Thursday, April 12, 2012

Guadalupe River North @ Rebecca Creek - Bass Fishing

Jon boat fishing on the Guadalupe River early Saturday morning. We motored about 2.5 miles upstream and started fishing back with the current.
I am a pretty novice fisherman so I had some coaching from my friend Brian who was fly fishing while I used a spinning rod/reel with rooster tails and plastics worms.
We put in at Boat Ramp #11 on Rebecca Creek just West of Canyon Lake where the Guadalupe River starts backing up as it enters the lake. We where in my friends 14ft V jon boat pushed by an 8hp outboard with a 30# thrust trolling motor.

The river in this area is pretty deep and wide with many submerged trees that outlined the original bank of the river. These submerged trees offer the shelter that many game fish tend to migrate to (or so I have been told).

There are also many areas where the grassy shore roles right up and into the river (one of the fish was caught casting and keeping the lure about 3 feet off the shore line).

Numerous rocky outcrops also dot the way, here I caught a 6 inch Guadalupe Bass on a Plastic worm.

All in all I had a great time here. While fishing is something I have not done seriously in the 15ish years prior to this I have to admit it felt good and was coming back pretty quick (kinda like riding a bike). Now I know you’re asking where are the pictures of the fish.. well I’ll post the 2 that didn't get away as soon as my friend sends me the pictures. Rest assure this was no fish tail we did catch something!


So if you have a small boat, canoe or kayak I would highly recommend giving this area a shot, just remember to stay on the river because you are flanked by private property on each side.

No comments:

Post a Comment